December 18, 2011

Shameless Self Promotion!

I have been collecting cashmere sweaters for ages. When I started “poking around” thrift shops, I’d always check the sweater section and see what they had. Often, I’d find three or four cashmere sweaters, some in perfect condition, some that had a few moth holes in them. I’d snap them up, since there were only a few dollars each thinking that if I didn’t wear them, I’d figure out something else to do with them.

I keep them in the old steel barristers’ book case that I picked up at a yard sale a few years ago (for $25.00!).  This is the guest room from my old house. But you can get an idea of how many sweaters I’d collected.guest room1[2]This summer, I had a moth attack, which I discovered when I went to wash my sweaters in the fall. When I buy sweaters, I always wash them and somehow, in the move, I must have picked up a visitor or two. Suffice to say the bloody moths nibbled their way through quite a few sweaters.

But since I am one to make lemonade out of lemons, I decided to make scarves out of sweaters! I re-washed all of the sweaters in some fabulous cashmere wash from The Laundress. Love this stuff, and I just chuck the sweaters into the washing machine. Cashmere’s so fine that it doesn’t felt like wool does. Then they go into the drier for a tumble and finally, I block them back into shape.laundressThen I strategically cut the sweaters into strips and re-fashioned them into cheerful patch scarves. I have to tell you that the first sweater I took a pair of scissors to, just about KILLED me! But after playing around with the strips and figuring out patterns, I started having a lot of fun. sweater1I started with some pastel sweaters, and combined them with some pink sweaters. Then I went on to a celadon sweater, which I combined with a pistachio one and a cream one with some pattern. sweater3Then I found a pink striped sweater, which I never really liked much. That made a fun piece, sort of like a bright rugby scarf.sweater2Recently, when I was out hunting, I found a red cashmere sweater with black roses printed on it. I thought it would look better as a scarf with some blocks of a deep black. sweater4Once they’re finished, I block the scarves again, to set the stitching and the shapes.

While I hate the term “up-cycled” that’s what I am doing with my old sweaters. But I prefer to think that I am giving my favourite sweaters a whole new life.

They are for sale on my Etsy site.

21 comments:

  1. So lovely and thrifty...I am really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea. I'm not fond of cable knit sweaters, but a cashmere cable knit scarf sounds lushious. I can almost feel the soft texture in the photos. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered a "Stylemaker" sale on OKL! -just kidding, although the scarves would, at least, have some provenance.! Seriously Meg they are quite lovely and that red one is screaming one of my beloved sister-in-laws' name! Guess which one? xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched all the Nate videos - what fun! You make it look easy, but I'm sure it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous, you clever gal.

    Does Connor have one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an ingenius way to make great use out of those pretty sweaters! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I am making pillows of them. On Ravelry, I've seen blankets made of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought your home office would be nicer. Do you think that you might be hoarder of bad art and bad cashmere? Where did you find those funny little cups on your ''desk''''''?Ssd

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a grand idea. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great!! Do you have any more in the works?
    Love them!!!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea...and when those are sold you'll have room for more sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so creative. Those are incredibly beautiful scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are soooooooo creative!!! It would never have occurred to me to do something so awesome. Great idea my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg,
    I'd say that is a whole lot better than lemonade! I've only made a pillow once from a sweater and had to take it somewhere to get done since I don't sew. All so pretty!!!
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous - makes moths tolerable. No, sorry, can't stand the little winged worms. My favorite sweater was holey this year. Looks like a scarf is in order. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
  16. Try storing lavendar sachets with your cashmere sweaters, they will smell lovely and it should keep the moths out!

    p.s. now I'm going to start checking thrift stores for cashmere sweaters!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.