February 12, 2014

Vitamin C

It’s snowing here and will be continuing for another 12+ hours, so we thought it was best to load up on Vitamin C, so we wouldn’t catch colds. Of course, the fact that the vitamin C was liberally cut with a slug of gin didn’t harm anyone.

I love grapefruit, and talked about making Candied Grapefruit Peel recently. Naturally, we needed a signature cocktail to use the peel in, and came up with a nice one that included gin, grapefruit juice and peel. It sounds like a summery drink but we agreed that it was a perfect thing for a snowy night. In fact, we had to duplicate our taste test to make sure.

Here’s what we did:

First, we rolled the edge of the glass in a little of the gin, which we had poured into a shallow dish, and then rolled it again in some of the sugar from the candied peel. Of course, we’d added the ice to the glass first, so had to start over!

We filled the glasses with the ice, gin and grapefruit juice,and then garnished it with a piece of the peel.

A toast to snowy evenings,

and then we drank up!

I think that the next time, I will either skip the sugar on the rim, or as a friend suggested, whir the sugar in the blender to make superfine sugar. This was a little chunky.

But regardless of the grain of the sugar, this is a drink that will remain on the menu. It’s going to be winter for a while yet.

11 comments:

  1. Two of my favorite things in the same glass. I must try this for myself as it looks so delish! Bottoms up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, and is simple enough to make, so I have no excuse not to try it. Stay warm (and tipsy) as we endure what feels to be a never ending winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny because some local bartenders say that lemon really doesn't suit G&T's and in fact it is grapefruit and so I always ask for grapefruit slice instead of even say lime and I think it is so uplifting and is my fave drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds like the Perfect Storm drink. Good name for it, right? Keep warm and safe. On another note, have you heard of or tried the Thundershirt on Connor? A friend of mine is using it on her dog who has anxiety over storms and fireworks and it's working a treat. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks yummy + love grapefruit! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wee bit of St. Germain would be awesome in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That sounds great. A smidge of tonic and mmm, yes a bit of St. Germain. Great idea, you are a genius. Off I go to make one.... Stay warm! xo, N.G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks refreshing, I love grapefruit juice and I love the other readers recs for a splash of St. Germain. Let it snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me - pretty drink, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.